In the book, Bare Bone Project Management: What you can’t not do, Bob Lewis explains the seven must-have elements for any project to have a chance of succeeding. Here are my takeaways on the topic discussed in the book.
On a regular basis, plan the work and improvise with the plan. Bob recommended the following activities for project managers:
- Manage progress against the plan.
- Manage the emotional state of project team members.
- Facilitate the group dynamics of the project team.
- Manage the flow of great ideas that can change the project’s scope and deliverables.
- Identify and develop contingency plans for potential risks.
- Identify and resolve issues as they arise.
- Communicate with all stakeholder groups.
- Keep the business sponsor informed and involved.